Wednesday, November 21, 2018

A story of gratitude

This day before Thanksgiving serves as a reminder of the meaning of Thanksgiving.
Some people are already looking past Thanksgiving to the next holiday. It is kicked off by shopping sprees meant to get the best buys/prices on gifts to be distributed to loved ones and friends.

In Christian circles we are often reminded that "the reason for the season"is the birth of our Lord, Jesus. Yet today I feel compelled to remind everyone, of every faith, to use today and tomorrow to give thanks to the God of the universe for our protection and provision.

 If you are not of the habit to keep a gratitude journal, this is an excellent time to begin. New beginnings are not limited to the first of January. Before you go to bed tonight, write five things for which you are grateful for today. There may be nights when the fifth thing may be that this day is over. Be specific. Tomorrows blessings will be recorded tomorrow. Rest assured, there will be many. Open your ears and listen. Open your eyes and see. Be attentive to the blessings we take for granted.

I will close with this simple act of kindness on the part of a crippled old woman.  I needed a quarter to "borrow" a grocery cart at Aldi's. You insert the quarter and the chained cart is released. Upon leaving the store, you replace the cart and retrieve your quarter. I did find one flimsy quarter in my vehicle but as I left the car I noticed a woman with a cane emptying the contents of her grocery cart. It occurred to me that she would need to walk all the way back to the entrance of the store to return the cart and fetch her money. I offered to give her my quarter in exchange for her cart. She refused my money and thanked me for saving her the walk back. She told me to pass it on upon my shopping completion. Indeed, I did. That went into my gratitude journal- stated in two simple sentences.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving whatever your circumstance. Experience peace and gratitude.
Phyllis

No comments:

Post a Comment